5.14.2009

Wear Sunscreen


Keeping with the graduation theme this week, I want to share a song I found this week while roaming around on one of my favorite music blogs, i guess i'm floating (whose writers also just graduated). 

I remember this song back when it first came out but I wasn't anywhere near graduation at that point. Now, Baz Luhrmann's spoken-word track "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" has a lot more meaning. 

Now I've mentioned Baz Luhrmann before and didn't have many nice things to say about his movies, but I have to give him credit for this little gem. But only partial credit. 

I just found out that the song was actually taken from a column in the Chicago Tribune back in 1997 written by Mary Schmich (that link only provides a summary of the article. You have to pay for the full thing, but again, it's almost exactly what's in the song). 

I guess Luhrmann just can't do anything original. If, like me, you just walked across the stage, received your diploma and realized that you have no idea what you're going to do, watch the video below and listen to the words. It will help you feel a little better.

No comments: