11.29.2008

What is wrong with the NFL?

Dear readers, I'm at a loss. I need your help. Maybe together we can figure out what the hell is wrong with the NFL.

Football on Thanksgiving day is about as American as apple pie and over eating. It's a tradition that I look forward to every year, especially this year when my Tennessee Titans were playing the Detroit Lions. The game was a blowout, and that was fine with me. But at halftime something went horribly wrong: Jesse McCartney walked out onto the stage.



Jesse-friggin'-McCartney. Are you kidding me? Then, just to add insult to injury, the halftime performance at the next game between the Seattle Seahawks and the Dallas Cowboys was the Jonas Brothers. THE JONAS BROTHERS!!



Let's break this down. On Thanksgiving, one of these situations is probably happening in every household in America: Thanksgiving lunch is over and while the women are socializing and the kids are playing, the men are watching football -- or -- The ladies are putting together the meal while the guys sit on the couch and watch football. Now before I get hate mail from all the feminists out there let me explain myself. I'm not saying this is how it should be or that this is totally universal. Guys could be (and should be) cooking and I'm sure some women are watching football. I'm just trying to make a point that most of the people watching football on Thanksgiving are men ages 18 and up.

So why in the hell are these hairless little boys parading around at halftime with a handful of screaming girls are adoring them right in front of the stage. Most of the viewing audience is probably looking around and going "Who are these guys??" Why is the NFL trying to appeal to 13-year-old girls with their halftime shows?? It makes no sense.

To give them some credit, the last few Superbowl halftime performers have been great: Tom Petty, Prince, the Rolling Stones. But I don't like this trend and where it could lead. Don't try to be something you're not, NFL. Know your core audience and stick to it.

2 comments:

Eve said...

I didn't catch the Jesse McCartney show but I did catch part of the J-Bros "show" and being a female, watching football-I was appalled at the performance. One, I am as confused as you are, why the hell are they performing during the halftime of a football game, somehow it just doesn't seem right or appropriate. Two, they were terrible. They were off key and out of breath. Now I may not be able to do what they were trying to do, but I am also not making that my career. If you are going to be a teen sensation, at least learn how to sing into a mic while you "dance" or run around stage. But perhaps I'm just being to hard on them. Maybe I should blame their horrible performance on the fact that their voices are changing and they no longer can sing well. =D

Unknown said...

yeah that's one part that I didn't even mention. Their voices were terrible and they couldn't breathe.

awful.