3.02.2008

Addiction

I think it's about time I came clean about something. I have to stop denying it if I want to have any chance of overcoming my addiction. So here goes...

My name is Corey, and I'm a musicaholic.

It feels so good to finally admit that. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my chest. Now I can begin my recovery process. That is, after I finish putting 300 new songs into my iTunes.

I just crossed the 8,000 song threshold. Think about that. Most albums have around 15 songs. That would mean that I have somewhere around 530 albums on my computer. If I listened to all my songs consecutively, 24 hours a day, it would take me more than 22 days to listen to every song. It's almost worth trying.

When I bought my 30GB iPod, I remember thinking that there was no way I was going to be able to fill it. "If I ever get that many songs," I said to myself, "there is seriously something wrong with me." Well that moment came and went. Then I had to buy a 250GB external hard drive to hold my music because I filled up the hard drive on my computer. Luckily I still have 170GB left. But I'm sure I'll end up filling it up eventually.

I can't imagine what I would do if I actually had the money to buy all the CDs that I want. I would have to devote a room (maybe my walk-in closet) to storing them all. Try to picture 500 CDs. How about 1000? Give me a few more years and we'll see what happens.

This is the product of musical obsession. I have everything from Arcade Fire to Warren Zevon to Miles Davis to Led Zeppelin to the Avett Brothers. Stuff you've never heard of. Some stuff that I've never heard of.

I spent a few hours just going through my music earlier today. Most of the stuff I have I actually listen to fairly regularly. But every once-in-a-while I come across some weird song by some weird band that I don't recognize. But it's usually a good song. When you have 8,000 songs, some are bound to get lost in the mix.

I have to do something with music in my life. It's my obsession, my passion, and the one thing that I've always cared about. It soothes me, angers me, makes me think and makes me happy. I can't live without it. Now just to figure out how to work it into a career...

As always, here's the list of bands that I've come across recently:
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (great, fun pop group from Missouri)
AA Bondy (country/bluegrass/folk)
Megafaun (country/rock/alt group from Raleigh that's getting some national recognition)
Noah and the Whale (great, goofy pop group. You have to watch the video.)
Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams band before he went solo.)
Uncle Tupelo (alt-country group along the same lines as Whiskeytown...from Illinois.)
Kaki King (great acoustic guitar player with a beautiful voice)

"The one good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain...so hit me with music."
~Bob Marley

peace
C

No comments: