11.17.2009

Fighting the Man

So apparently this blog has gotten big enough for me to get cracked down on by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) for supposed "copyright infringement for a post I did a couple months ago about Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers.

I did a simple album review and used the photo and MP3 that the record company contact sent me in the post. It's one of the few posts that I did completely by the book.

So they took the post down because it violates the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Bull.

I did nothing but sing the band's praises and posted one song so that my readers could sample the music and I encouraged them to go out and buy the album. And let me reiterate: the record company sent me the MP3 file and said "use this."

So I'm going to fight it. I'll go through the bureaucratic crap. YouTube has already pissed me off enough with how many times they've taken my videos down. I'm tired of record companies getting all high and mighty about copyright infringement that is doing nothing but promoting these bands and records.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Chris said...

That's a coordinated effort I'd really like to see. I'm sure it's hard, if not impossible, to quantify, but bands and news websites get tons of traffic and popularity because of these types of websites (in the aggregate). You suggest a great band, I'm very likely to check them out, and so is the 10-20 other people that read this thing regularly. And it's not like you're skimming off a bunch of money from this website. So in my fantasy land, everyone who might be "infringing" stops talking about these bands, google stops indexing Murdoch's gasbags, etc, and see their traffic and then their ad revenue make a nose dive. What idiots.